FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team concluded its road portion of the NACC schedule with a pair of defeats against Marian, dropping game one, 10-3, and the nightcap, 9-2, on Friday afternoon at Smith Field.
- Scores: Marian 10, Wisconsin Lutheran 3; Marian 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Location: Smith Field, Fond du Lac, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-23, 7-13 NACC), Marian (24-14, 11-9 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The hosts jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in their half of the opening frame after a three-run outburst with two outs.
- The Warriors' offense exploded in the third inning for three runs on five hits to knot the game at 3-3. Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis./Greendale) got the scoring started with a RBI single to left field, and Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) roped a two-RBI double.
- The Sabres broke the tie game in the fourth, scoring three runs with two outs to take the 6-3 lead.
- MU broke the game open in the sixth with four runs on four hits and a WLC error.
- Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) suffered the loss in 6.0 innings of work, allowing nine earned runs on 10 hits. Seven Warriors recorded a hit in the opener, paced by two hits apiece from Bjork and Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity).
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Despite both teams loading the bases in the first inning, neither team could muster across a run.
- Marian got on the board first, scoring two runs in the third on two hits.
- Wisconsin Lutheran knotted the game up in the fifth with a two-RBI double from Bjork, plating Davis and Ritacco.
- The Sabres broke the game open with a five-run inning to take a 7-1 advantage after five innings.
- MU got two more insurance runs with a two-run blast from Sara Terrian in the sixth.
- Bjork suffered the defeat in the circle for WLC, allowing seven earned runs with six walks in 5.0 innings. Davis and Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) paced the offense with two hits each in the night game.
FOR THE FOES
- Shannon Huray earned her 12th win of the season in the circle, allowing just three runs in a complete game effort. The Sabres collected 14 hits, led a 4-for-4 game from Gianna Esposito.
- Paige Rauhut improved her record to 10-5 with a complete game, two-run effort. Terrian led the way for MU with three RBI.
- The Warriors conclude NACC play on Saturday when they host Aurora (25-13, 14-6 NACC) at Neumann Family Field. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for Noon. The Spartans, who have won four straight over WLC, are coming off a split on Thursday against Dominican.