LISLE, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team earned a split against conference-leading Benedictine Saturday afternoon at the Sports Complex. The Warriors were blanked in a 1-0 loss in game one, then exploded for 10 runs in game two. The run-rule victory snapped a nine-game losing streak to the Eagles.
- Final Scores: Benedictine 1, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 10, Benedictine 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-13, 4-6 NACC), Benedictine (19-10, 10-2 NACC)
- Location: The Sports Complex, Lisle, Ill.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team could gather momentum in the opening innings until the top of the third inning when Emily Moore doubled to left center and then crossed the plate after a sacrifice fly, putting BenU up 1-0.
- The Eagles threatened again in the top of the sixth inning when they put runners on first and second base, but Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) escaped the jam.
- Mahsem stepped to plate in the bottom of the sixth inning and singled to right field, but WLC was unable to even the score.
- Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) drew a walk in the bottom half of the seventh inning, but again the Warriors were stymied as BenU took game one, 1-0.
- Mahsem suffered the tough loss, throwing a complete game while allowing just one run on five hits. The junior hurler struck out a career-high 12 batters in the loss.
- The Warriors were held to just three hits in the opener.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- BenU struck first in game two after a fielder's choice followed by a throwing error by WLC, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the second.
- The Warriors exploded for six runs in the bottom of the second inning after back-to-back doubles from Jessie Rago (Elgin, Ill.) and Rebecca Foster (Spring, Texas), followed by RBIs from Gracie Wilson (Deerfield, Wis.) and Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.).
- The Eagles earned a run back in the top of the third inning after an RBI double from Angie Malsack to make the score 6-2 after three innings.
- Mahsem ripped a single up the middle in the bottom of the fourth to score Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis.), then Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill.) scored on a wild pitch to push the WLC lead to 8-2 after four innings.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, Wilson drove home Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.) who singled to start the inning, then Belongia singled to the pitcher which drove home pinch-runner Kaitlyn Kammerer (La Crosse, Wis.) to end the game with WLC taking the 10-2 victory.
- Rago picked up her second win of the season in the circle, allowing one earned run on four hits.
- Belongia led the Warriors with three hits and two runs, while Bjork added two hits and two RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
- Courtney Grasz drove in the lone run of game one with a sacrifice fly.
- Becky Karlinski earned her 14th win of the season, throwing a complete game while allowing just three hits.
- Malsack collected the only RBI for BenU in game two.
- Nicole Parney took the loss, allowing five hits and four earned runs over 1+ innings.
- The Warriors travel to Lakeland (8-16, 3-7 NACC) Sunday for another NACC doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. in Plymouth.