MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team picked up a pair of key NACC victories Monday evening as it swept the visiting Edgewood Eagles at Neumann Family Field. Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) threw a three-hit, complete-game shutout in game one and the Warriors offense exploded for 10 runs in game two as WLC completed the sweep. It was the Warriors' fifth and sixth straight wins over the Eagles.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Edgewood 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 10, Edgewood 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-14, 7-7 NACC), Edgewood (12-16, 4-10 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors posted four runs in the bottom of the opening inning after Megan Belongia (Ashwaubenon, Wis.) and Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) drew walks, then Mahsem collected a bunt single to load the bases. Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill.) ripped a double to right field which drove in two runs, then Mahsem scored on a wild pitch to make the score 3-0. Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis.) added an RBI single to extend WLC's lead to 4-0 after one inning.
- Wisconsin Lutheran added two more runs in the bottom of the third inning after Gracie Wilson (Deerfield, Wis.) delivered an RBI bunt single, then Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.) scored on a fielding error later in the inning, putting the Warriors ahead 6-0.
- The Warriors added their final run in the bottom of the fifth inning after Belongia reached base on a fielder's choice, then got in a rundown to allow Wilson to score from third base.
- Mahsem earned the complete game victory in game one, allowing just three hits over 7.0 innings while striking out six.
- Seven different Warriors tallied hits in the opener, while Ritacco, Davis, and Wilson drove in runs.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wisconsin Lutheran came out hot once again in the bottom of the first inning, with Ericson doubling down the right field line, followed by an RBI single from Mahsem. Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.) drew a walk then Ritacco followed with a sharp single up the middle, loading the bases. Mahsem scored on a fielding error then Jessie Rago (Elgin, Ill.) drew a bases loaded walk to put the Warriors up 4-0 after one inning.
- WLC added three more runs in the bottom of the second inning when Mahsem singled home Belongia, who singled to lead off the inning, followed by an RBI double by Bjork. Maddie Lindemann singled up the middle then got caught in a rundown, allowing Katie Lindemann (New Berlin, Wis.), who pinch-ran for Bjork, to score for a 7-0 Warriors lead.
- WLC put up two more runs in the bottom of the third inning after a leadoff double from Rago, followed by an RBI single from Wilson. Wilson moved to second after a single from Ericson, then scored on an RBI single from Mahsem to left field.
- The Warriors tallied their final run of the evening in the bottom of the fourth inning when Haley Szubert (South Elgin, Ill.) roped a double to right field to start the inning, then later scored from third on a wild pitch.
- Edgewood scored its first run of the day in the top of the fifth inning after an RBI single from Hanna Fisher, but the Warriors collected the 10-1 victory in 5.0 innings.
- Rago earned the win in game two, allowing five hits over 3.0 innings.
- Nine different Warriors tallied hits in the nightcap, with Mahsem leading the charge, going 3-for-3 with three RBIs and two runs scored.
FOR THE FOES
- Hanna Fisher collected two hits in the opener for the Eagles while Shannon Whitmus suffered the loss, allowing five earned runs over 3.0 innings.
- Fisher drove in the lone run for Edgewood in game two. Whitmus was dealt the loss after allowing five earned runs over 1+ innings.
- The Warriors continue their busy week when they host UW-Platteville Tuesday for a non-conference doubleheader. The Pioneers (16-14) dropped two games to UW-Stout Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Live stats will be available at WLCSports.com.