MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team was swept in a non-conference doubleheader by visiting UW-Platteville Tuesday afternoon at Neumann Family Field, 11-0 and 7-3. The Warriors were limited to just two hits on the day.
- Final Scores: UW-Platteville 11, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; UW-Platteville 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 3
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-16), UW-Platteville (18-14)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- UW-Platteville scored twice in the opening inning on a pair of RBI doubles for a 2-0 lead over the Warriors.
- The Pioneers saw five straight batters reach base after two outs in the second and plated four runs on five hits.
- UWP added three runs in the fourth and another two in the fifth for their 11th run of the game.
- The Warriors were held without a hit in the game, but did have a runner reach base in the first, second, and fifth innings.
- Grace Dornbush (Clinton, Iowa) suffered the loss in the circle for WLC after allowing six runs in 2.0 innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Shannon Gaul led off the second inning for UW-Platteville with a solo homerun to give the visitors an early 1-0 lead.
- The Warriors put their first two runners on base in their half of the second on singles from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.) and Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.), but UWP retired the next three batters in order to end the scoring threat.
- Another three-run homerun from UWP's Cayleen Ryan in the fourth put Platteville up 4-0.
- Wisconsin Lutheran loaded the bases in the fourth with just one out and plated three runs, two on an error by the shortstop and another crossing home during an attempted steal of second.
- Four straight Pioneers batters reached base after two outs in the fifth and back-to-back RBI singles gave them a 6-3 lead after five.
- UWP scored its final run of the game in the seventh off a fielding error with two outs for its seventh of the game.
- Bjork and Maddie Lindemann each reached base twice in the game for the Warriors. Claire Luebke (Mayville, Wis.) suffered the loss in 4.2 innings pitched.
FOR THE FOES
- Abby Jaques, Rachel Martin, and Shannon Gaul each went 3-for-3 in the opener for the Pioneers. Ashton Hoeppner didn't allow a hit and struckout eight to earn her 11th win of the season.
- Shannon Gaul went 3-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs scored in game two. Kate Snook pitched 1.2 innings in relief to pickup the win.
- The Warriors are back in action for the fifth straight day tomorrow with another crucial NACC doubleheader against Concordia Wisconsin (16-14, 6-8 NACC) in Mequon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.