MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The sixth-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team fell to the third-seeded Aurora Spartans in game one of the 2018 NACC Softball Tournament Thursday afternoon by a score of 5-1. The Spartans broke a 1-1 tie in the fifth inning by scoring four unearned runs over two consecutive innings.
- Final Score: Aurora 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (17-20), Aurora (26-15)
- Location: Alverno Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- The Spartans got on the board in the bottom of the first inning after a double to left field followed by a two-out RBI single up the middle.
- Neither team could gain much momentum in the following innings until the top of the fourth when Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis.) ripped a double to right field, then Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) followed with a double of her own, tying the contest at 1-1.
- AU put two runners on base in the bottom of the fourth inning, but Mahsem escaped the inning without any damage, keeping the contest tied at one apiece.
- Aurora took the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning after a double to left field, followed by a groundout, moving the runner to third base, then a fielding error from WLC allowed the run to score, giving the Spartans a 2-1 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran threatened in the sixth with a two-out single and a walk, but left both runners stranded.
- AU added three unearned runs in the bottom of the sixth after two fielding errors by the Warriors, followed by a single up the middle that plated two runs, then another RBI single that pushed Aurora's lead to four.
- WLC was unable to mount a comeback in the top of the seventh as the Spartans held on for a 5-1 victory.
- Davis led the Warriors with two hits, while Mahsem drove in the lone run for WLC.
- Mahsem suffered the loss, allowing just one earned run over 7.0 innings while striking out nine Spartans.
FOR THE FOES
- The Spartans tallied six hits in the contest, with Sam Owens leading the way with three base hits and an RBI.
- Steph Renner earned the win, allowing just one earned run over 7.0 innings. She struckout six and walked just one.
- The Warriors return to NACC Tournament play Friday morning when they face the loser of No. 4 Concordia Chicago and No. 1 Marian in an elimination game. First pitch is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at Alverno Field in Milwaukee. Live stats and video coverage will be available at WLCSports.com.