MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The sixth-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College softball team fell to the top-seeded Marian Sabres Friday afternoon in an elimination game at the 2018 NACC Softball Tournament. The Warriors, who faced a three-run deficit in the final inning, scored two runs, but were unable to complete the comeback.
- Final Score: Marian 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (17-21), Marian (26-12)
- Location: Alverno Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- WLC started the scoring in the top of the second inning when Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill.) led off the inning with a double to right field, then crossed the plate after an RBI groundout from Maddie Lindemann (Watertown, Wis.)
- Marian answered in the bottom of the second when it put two runners on base, then a two-RBI double put the Sabres ahead 2-1 after three innings.
- The Warriors knotted the contest at 2-2 in the top of the fourth after Ellen Davis (Greendale, Wis.) opened the inning with a single, then Ritacco singled, followed by another single from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis.) that loaded the bases. Lindemann drove in her second run of the game with a grounder to the shortstop, making it 2-2.
- The Sabres regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth after a two-run homerun by Lindsey Strainis, giving MU a 4-2 lead.
- WLC threatened in the sixth after loading the bases with just one out, but was unable to plate any runs after two straight groundouts.
- Marian added another run in the bottom of the sixth inning after a pinch-hit homerun from Olivia Hartley
- Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) led off the top of the seventh inning with a hit by pitch, then Davis drew a walk, followed by an RBI single from Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis.) that brought the Warriors within two runs. Bjork singled to right field, scoring Davis and bringing WLC within just one run, but the rally ended for Wisconsin Lutheran after a flyout and a groundout, with the Sabres holding on for the 5-4 triumph.
- Ritacco led the Warriors with a 3-for-4 effort while Bjork and Davis collected two hits apiece.
- Lindemann drove in two runs while Mahsem and Bjork each collected an RBI.
- Mahsem took the loss, allowing five runs while pitching 6.0 innings. The junior struck out eight Sabres.
FOR THE FOES
- Peyton Loesch led the Sabres with two hits and two RBIs while Strainis also drove in two runs.
- Paige Rauhut earned the win in the circle, allowing just one earned run over 5+ innings. Loesch earned the save while allowing one runner to reach base in an inning of work.
- The Warriors conclude their 2018 season with an overall record of 17-21 and 12-10 NACC. It was WLC's first appearance in the NACC Tournament since 2014.