MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored a season-high 24 points to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team defeated Dominican 72-51 on Saturday afternoon inside the Recreation Complex on Winterfest.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 72, Dominican 51
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-5, 13-1 NACC), Dominican (6-13, 4-10 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 301
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors fell behind by six points early in the first quarter and the Stars led for the majority of the opening period. A Tierney Woodward (Poynette, Wis./Poynette) three-pointer with 1:34 left in the quarter gave the Warriors a 14-13 lead that they would never relinquish. WLC gained the lead despite shooting 30.0 percent (6-for-20) and committing five turnovers in the quarter.
- A 13-0 run by the Warriors in the second quarter gave them a 17-point halftime lead at 39-22. WLC out-scored Dominican 25-9. Knueppel and Maddy Cruz (New Berlin, Wis./Waukesha West) scored nine and eight points, respectively, in the quarter as WLC shot 47.6 percent (10-for-21).
- Both teams played a fairly even third quarter, scoring 12 points apiece. WLC shot 26.7 percent (4-for-15) compared to the Stars' 40.0 percent (4-for-10).
- The Warriors built a game-high 28-point lead with 3:46 left in the game after a 13-4 scoring run. The Stars then closed the game on a 11-4 run for a 72-51 final. Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis./HOPE Christian) and Knueppel scored nine and eight points, respectively, in the final frame for WLC.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel scored a season-high 24 points to go along with seven rebounds and four assists for the Warriors. Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) finished with a double-double of 14 points and a career-high 14 rebounds for her fourth double-double of the season. Carson contributed a career-high 13 points with five steals and four assists.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 28-for-76 for 36.8 percent for the game, but went just 6-for-30 for 20.0 percent from three-point range. The team's 30 three-point attempts were the second-highest total of the season.
- The Warriors out-rebounded the Stars 50-33, including grabbing a season-high 25 boards on the offensive glass. The hosts also out-scored DU 21-2 in second-chance points and 44-26 on points in the paint.
- Timiya Ray paced Dominican with 13 points, while Amari Stafford added 12. The Stars shot 35.4 percent (17-for-48) from the floor for the game.
- WLC improved its record to 27-0 all-time against the Stars.
- The Warriors will remain home on Wednesday when they host Marian (3-15, 2-11 NACC) at 7:00 p.m. The Sabres dropped their fifth straight game today against Alverno, 72-69. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.