PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - Wisconsin Lutheran College fell behind by 13 points after the first quarter and couldn't quite overcome the early deficit as the Warriors fell to Lakeland 64-52 on Wednesday night in NACC women's basketball action inside the Moose and Dona Woltzen Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Lakeland 64, Wisconsin Lutheran 52
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-9, 14-5 NACC), Lakeland (17-7, 15-4 NACC)
- Location: Moose and Dona Woltzen Gymnasium, Plymouth, Wis. | Attendance: 622
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Muskies opened the game on a 10-0 run and led by 13 points (19-6) at the end of the first quarter. The Warriors shot just 18.2 percent (2-for-11) from the field in the first quarter, compared to Lakeland's 46.7 percent (7-for-15).
- Lakeland increased its lead to a game-high 20 points midway through the second quarter before WLC closed the half on a 7-0 run and trailed by 13 points, 31-18, at halftime. The Muskies out-shot the Warriors in the opening half, 46.2 percent (12-for-26) to 24.0 percent (6-for-25). Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) led the Warriors with nine points in the opening half.
- The Warriors battled back in the third quarter and used a 10-0 run to cut the Muskies' lead down to just four points, 36-32, with 3:12 left in the quarter. Both teams traded small runs, as Lakeland led 43-37 at the end of the period.
- A 12-4 fourth-quarter run by the Warriors cut the Lakeland lead to only three points (53-50) with 3:33 remaining in the game. However, LU finished the game on an 11-2 run over the final three minutes plus for the final 12-point margin.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel scored a game-high 20 points on six three-pointers and was the only Warrior in double-figures. Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis./HOPE Christian) dished out five assists, and Lexi Reinke (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) grabbed eight rebounds and had three steals for the Warriors. Both Carson and Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) had eight points each for WLC.
- The Warriors shot just 31.1 percent (19-for-61) for the game, while Lakeland shot 46.8 percent (22-for-47) from the floor and 47.4 percent (9-for-19) from beyond the arc.
- The Warriors out-rebounded the Muskies, 38-31, and owned a 15-7 advantage in second-chance points.
- Lakeland was led by Maddie Doll's 15 points and 14 each from Kayla Clark and Rachel Stankevich.
- This is the third straight year the Warriors and Muskies have split their season series.
- The Warriors close out their regular season at Dominican (8-16, 6-13 NACC) on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. WLC can clinch the fourth seed and a home game in the NACC Tournament with a win and CUC loss. WLC defeated DU back on Jan. 28 in Milwaukee, 72-51. The Stars suffered a 75-64 loss at home to Concordia Chicago tonight. Links to live stats and video for the game will be available at WLCSports.com.