MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Four starters scored in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team earned a 60-46 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference win over visiting conference rival Lakeland Tuesday night inside the Recreation Complex. The Warriors closed out their season-long six-game homestand with a 5-1 record.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 60, Lakeland 46
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-1, 3-0 NACC), Lakeland (4-3, 1-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.) opened up the scoring, burying a triple from the top of the key, but the Muskies answered with seven straight points.
- Lakeland held a game-high 14-5 advantage with four minutes remaining in the first quarter, but the Warriors scored eight straight points to cut the deficit to just one heading into the second period of play.
- A basket from Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) on the opening possession of the second quarter put WLC ahead by one, increasing the Warriors scoring run to 10-0.
- Wisconsin Lutheran held a 21-19 advantage with just over four minutes left in the half, and after a three from Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.), WLC led 26-22.
- After a jumper from Knueppel, Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis.) swiped a ball and took it coast-to-coast to push the Warriors lead to eight, which they held until the halftime break.
- The Warriors forced 14 turnovers in the first half, while only committing four of their own.
- WLC came out of the halftime break and used a 9-2 run to push its lead to 39-24, a game-high, with six minutes to play in the third quarter.
- Lakeland scored six straight to cut the Warriors lead to nine, but a corner three from Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) put Wisconsin Lutheran back ahead by 12.
- The Muskies scored two quick baskets, but Knueppel answered with another triple to close out the third quarter with the Warriors maintaining a 48-36 lead.
- The two teams traded baskets for the following four minutes, but the Warriors held a 56-46 lead with three minutes to play.
- Cruz connected on a corner three with 1:18 remaining to push the Warriors lead back up to 13.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel paced the Warriors with 15 points, while Dowden added 12 points and eight assists.
- Cruz pulled down a team-high eight rebounds while scoring 11 points.
- Tramburg registered seven rebounds and also added 12 points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran forced 18 Lakeland turnovers, scoring 14 points off of the takeaways.
- The Warriors shot 43.9 percent (25-of-57) from the field and connected on seven triples, including five in the second half.
- WLC dished out 20 assists, while committing a season-low seven turnovers.
- It was the third time in the last four games the Warriors held an opponent under 50 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Maddy Doll led the way for Lakeland with 18 points and four rebounds, while Rachel Stankevich added 12 points and eight boards.
- Miranda Jacobson scored 10 points and also pulled down eight rebounds. She was the third and final player for LU to reach double-figure scoring.
- The Muskies shot 38.6 percent (17-of-44) from the field while converting 84.6 percent (11-of-13) from the charity stripe. Lakeland was limited to just 8.3 percent (1-for-12) shooting from three-point range.
- After six straight home games to open the season, the Warriors travel to Alverno (2-3, 1-2 NACC) Saturday at 7:00 p.m. to take on the Inferno. In their lone matchup last season, WLC collected a 63-46 victory behind 13 points off the bench from Tramburg. Live stats and video will be available for the contest at WLCSports.com.