ST. PAUL, Minn. (WLCSports.com) – Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) scored a game-high 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds but the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team came up short against No. 9 Chicago 70-46 Friday evening inside Schoenecker Arena on the campus of St. Thomas in a NCAA Tournament First Round game. The Maroons forced 24 turnovers and held the Warriors to just 34.8 percent shooting from the field.
- Final Score: No. 9 Chicago 70, Wisconsin Lutheran 46
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (24-4), Chicago (24-2)
- Location: Schoenecker Arena, St. Paul, Minn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors struggled out of the gate as Chicago jumped out to an early 7-0 lead until Lexi Reinke (Bonduel, Wis.) got WLC on the board with a layup at the 4:49 mark of the opening quarter.
- The Maroons' lead grew to 12-2 before Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo.) rattled off back-to-back buckets to trim the lead to 12-6 with two minutes left to play.
- Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored the final bucket of the opening quarter as UC led 16-10 after one quarter of action.
- After Dowden scored on the opening possession of the second quarter, Wisconsin Lutheran was held without a point for the next 3:39 but the Maroons could not take advantage as their lead grew to just eight, 20-12.
- Both teams traded baskets as UC held a 24-18 advantage with 4:45 left in the first half.
- Chicago used a 10-1 to take control of the game as it led 34-21 going into the locker room.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 38.5 percent in the opening half and had 12 turnovers. WLC was led by Elrod's six points in the first half.
- The Maroons exploded for a quick 6-0 run to open the half, forcing the Warriors to call a timeout as UC led 40-21 with 8:42 showing on the scoreboard.
- Dowden connected on a three-pointer from the right wing to trim the deficit to 15 with 6:53 left in the quarter.
- The Chicago offense broke the game open, using three three-pointers down the stretch as it held a 56-30 advantage going into the fourth.
- After the Maroons' lead grew to 30, Dowden connected on back-to-back possessions followed by a Reinke putback layup to cut UC's lead to 61-36.
- A pair of Dowden free throws trimmed the deficit to 19 with three minutes to play.
- The Maroons' lead never fell below 18 down the stretch as UC advanced to the second round with a 70-46 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dowden led the Warriors with a game-high 21 points and grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.
- Carson reached double-digits as she finished with 10 points.
- Elrod added eight points and seven rebounds off the bench for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- WLC shot just 34.8 percent (16-of-46) from the field and struggled from behind the arc, shooting just 15.4 percent (2-of-13), their second-lowest total of the season.
- The Warriors forced 15 turnovers in the opening round contest.
- The game marked the final career contest for seniors Carson, Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.), and Katie Datka (Bayside, Wis.).
FOR THE FOES
- Miranda Burt led UC with 18 points while Olariche Obi finished with 14 points and five rebounds.
- The Maroons shot 44.4 percent (24-of-54) from the field and connected on 41.2 percent (7-of-17) of their three-point attempts.
- Chicago forced the Warriors into a season-high 24 turnovers which it converted into 22 points.