MANKATO, Minn. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team suffered a 4-3 overtime setback against the Minnesota-Morris Cougars Sunday afternoon at the Bethany Lutheran Soccer Field. Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis.) recorded her second consecutive hat-trick, netting three goals in the second half as the Warriors overcame a 3-0 deficit. However, UMM connected on a golden goal just two minutes into overtime for the 4-3 win.
- Final Score: Minnesota-Morris 4, Wisconsin Lutheran 3 (OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-3-0), Minnesota-Morris (2-2-0)
- Location: BLC Soccer Field, Mankato, Minn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cougars jumped out to an early lead, scoring twice in the first 10 minutes of the contest.
- Minnesota-Morris added another goal at the 35' mark when Molly Hancuh scored off of a free kick.
- Just three minutes after the second half kickoff, Joyce scored her first goal of the game and fourth of the season.
- Joyce scored again off of a loose ball in the box in the 54' to bring the Warriors within one.
- Joyce completed her second straight hat-trick in the 78' when she took a pass from Mady Hirsch (Jefferson, Wis.) inside the box and beat the keeper, tying the game at 3-3.
- The two teams remained tied at the end of regulation and headed into a golden goal overtime.
- Just two minutes into the overtime period, Brooke Lorentz scored the game-winner to give the Cougars the 4-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors registered 16 total shots, with seven coming on goal.
- Joyce registered four shots on goal, while Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.) had three.
- Hailey Krause (Wauwatosa, Wis.) made four saves in net.
- Seven different Warriors played in all 92 minutes of the match.
FOR THE FOES
- Hancuh led the Cougars with three shots on goal, two which found the back of the net.
- Tiffany Oren and Lorentz also got on the scoresheet.
- The Cougars totaled nine shots for the match.
- Megan Tschida earned the victory, registering four saves in 92 minutes of play.
- The Warriors return home to Milwaukee Wednesday when they host Ripon (4-0-0) at 7:00 p.m. in the first of three games this week. The Red Hawks last defeated Illinois Tech 3-1 Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com