FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team won its third consecutive conference road match Saturday afternoon, defeating Marian 3-1 by scores of 25-12, 14-25, 25-17, and 25-13 inside Sadoff Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Marian 1 (25-12, 14-25, 25-17, 25-23, 25-13)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-13, 5-3 NACC), Marian (6-13, 2-6 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors used a 13-3 run in the opening set to take a commanding 16-5 lead. WLC had an impressive .467 hitting percentage, totaling 17 kills with just three errors in the first game.
- Marian bounced back in the second set, opening the frame with a 12-4 run. Wisconsin Lutheran battled to close the gap to 16-12, but the Sabres used an 8-0 run to get to match point before closing out the set at 25-14. MU posted a .273 percentage, while holding the Warriors to .086.
- With the score tied at 4-4 early in the third set, WLC rattled off 11 of the next 14 points to take a 15-7 lead. The hosts never closed the gap to less than six points as the Warriors took the 2-1 lead after a 25-17 third set victory. Wisconsin Lutheran recovered from a tough second set to post a .364 attack percentage.
- After a back-and-forth start to the fourth set that showed a 5-5 tie, WLC rattled off eight straight points with two aces from Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) to take a 13-5 lead. The Sabres closed the gap to 19-13 late, but the Warriors scored the final six points to close out the match. WLC capitalized on a -.036 attack percentage from the Sabres, while posting a .240 percentage of its own.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) led the way for the Warriors, recording a double-double with 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Grace Tomhave (Verona, Wis.) tied Grulke for the team-high in kills with 13, while Alyssa Charron (Appleton, Wis.) added 12 behind a .450 hitting percentage.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) recorded her seventh double-double of the season, second in as many nights, with 41 assists and 11 digs.
- Scanlon led the team with 13 digs.
- The Warriors hit .285 in the contest and had nine total blocks as a team.
- Wisconsin Lutheran won its third straight match over Marian.
FOR THE FOES
- Alexandra Meidl paced the Sabres with 14 kills.
- Cheyenne Henson and Jenna Skroski led Marian with 13 digs each.
- Amber Baker dished out 31 of the team's 34 assists in the match.
- Marian was held to a .106 attacking percentage in the contest.
- The Warriors continue their push towards the NACC Tournament with their final two home matches this week. WLC hosts Dominican (11-10, 4-3 NACC) Friday night at 7:00 p.m. inside the Recreation Complex. The Stars last lost 3-0 Friday night against CUW and host MSOE Saturday evening. Links to live stats and video for the match will be available at WLCSports.com.