MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team fell in a five-set thriller to the Dominican Stars Friday night inside the Recreation Complex. The Warriors and Stars each won two straight sets in the contest before the Stars won the final set of the night, 21-19.
- Final Score: Dominican 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (23-25, 19-25, 25-21, 25-22, 21-19)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-14, 5-4 NACC), Dominican (14-10, 6-3 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Stars jumped out to a quick 9-2 lead in the early stages of the first set, forcing the Warriors into a timeout.
- Late in the first set, Dominican maintained a 19-13 advantage, but Wisconsin Lutheran answered with a 5-0 run to trail by just one point.
- DU held a 23-21 lead late in the first set, but WLC used two kills from Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) to tie the contest at 23-23.
- The Warriors took a 24-23 lead after a block from Grace Tomhave (Verona, Wis.) and Grulke, and a service ace from Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) gave WLC a 25-23 victory in the first set.
- In the second set, the two teams traded points and remained tied at 11-11, and again were tied at 18 until Grulke took advantage of a Dominican mistake and put Wisconsin Lutheran up 19-18.
- WLC used a 6-1 run to close out the second set and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Warriors used their momentum to take a 5-1 lead early in the third set.
- Dominican answered back to tie the game at nine and then used a 4-0 swing to force Wisconsin Lutheran into a timeout.
- The Stars held a 20-16 advantage late in the third set, but the Warriors stormed back to cut the DU lead to one.
- Dominican scored the final four points of the set to take a 25-21 victory in the third.
- The Stars jumped out to a 13-9 lead in the fourth set and pushed their lead to six.
- DU held a 23-18 lead late in the fourth set, but WLC cut the lead to 24-21, until Domincan tied the match at two sets apiece.
- The Stars led early in the fifth set, 7-3, forcing the Warriors to call a timeout to halt momentum.
- Wisconsin Lutheran fought back, but Dominican still held a 13-7 advantage late in the fifth set.
- WLC used a 6-1 run to cut the DU lead to 14-13, and tied the game at 15-15 three points later.
- The two teams traded points to remain tied at 16, and followed suit to tie the the game at 17.
- WLC took an 18-17 lead, but Dominican answered back to tie the contest yet again at 18.
- After trading points again and tying the game at 19-19, Dominican used kills from Elin Ream to win the final two points of the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grulke led the attack for the Warriors, registering a double-double of 16 kills and 20 digs.
- Tomhave added 15 kills, while Alysha Kahlow (Fond du Lac, Wis.) chipped in 14.
- Pattison dished out 52 assists in the contest.
- Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) registered 29 digs, while Brooke Roberts (Randolph, Wis.) added 19.
- The Warriors hit .184 in the contest and recorded 17 blocks.
- Wisconsin Lutheran fell to 2-4 in five-set matches this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Kendyl Todd led the Stars with 22 kills, with only three errors for a .475 hitting percentage.
- Anastasia Labadessa dished out 47 assists and added 12 digs.
- Gillian Jones and Megan Parker led the defensive effort for Dominican, registering 29 and 15 digs, respectively.
- The Stars hit .166 in the contest and added 10 service aces.
- The Warriors return to action Saturday when they host Concordia Chicago (17-10, 4-5 NACC) in their final home match of the regular season at 7:00 p.m. Before the contest, WLC will honor its two seniors, Greta Sievert (Denver, Colo.) and Nicole Klipstein (Hartford, Wis.). Live stats and video for the match will be available at WLCSports.com