MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team earned a 3-1 victory over Alverno inside Reiman Gymnasium Tuesday night to close out NACC regular season play. With the win, coupled with a Dominican win over Concordia Chicago, the No. 6 Warriors will play in the NACC Tournament for the first time since 2013 and will face No. 3 Edgewood in Madison Tuesday, October 31 at 7:00 p.m.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Alverno 1 (25-18, 25-13, 18-25, 25-19)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-15, 6-5 NACC), Alverno (6-20, 1-10 NACC)
- Location: Reiman Gymnasium, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors jumped out to an early 5-2 lead, and never lost their lead in the set. Wisconsin Lutheran pushed its lead to 17-10, and held Alverno to just .038 hitting en route to a 25-18 first set victory.
- WLC continued its dominance in the second set, hitting a whopping .591 with 13 kills and no errors. The Warriors led 17-11, then ran off six straight points to take a 23-11 lead.
- After an Inferno service error, Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) registered a kill for the final point of the set.
- Alverno started off the third set by taking an 11-3 lead, aided by four errors from the Warriors.
- WLC fought back to take a 16-15 lead, but the Inferno answered with four straight points to retake the lead.
- Alverno held a 21-18 advantage, and then scored four straight to take the third set 25-18.
- The Warriors led 5-1 in the early stages of the fourth set, and eventually led 14-6.
- The Inferno out-scored WLC 9-1 to cut their deficit to just two, but the Warriors used a kill from Nicole Klipstein (Hartford, Wis.) and a service ace from Pattison to regain control of the contest.
- WLC forced four Inferno errors in the final six points to take the fourth set 25-19, and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Klipstein led the attack for the Warriors with 11 kills, her second-most of the season, and two blocks.
- Alyssa Charron (Appleton, Wis.) added nine kills and four total blocks.
- Pattison dished out 34 assists and added three service aces and six digs.
- Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) collected 18 digs while Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) had 10 digs and eight kills.
- The Warriors hit .227 in the contest, with eight service aces and six total blocks.
- Wisconsin Lutheran finished over .500 in conference play for the first time since 2011 and its six conference wins are the most since 2012.
- WLC improved to 7-2 in four-set matches this season.
- The Warriors are now 23-0 all-time against the Inferno.
FOR THE FOES
- Jessica Wewers paced the Inferno with 15 kills and just one error for a .583 hitting percentage in the contest.
- Sam Korn dished out 26 assists and registered seven digs.
- Morgan Lenner recorded 13 digs for Alverno.
- WLC held the Inferno to just .067 hitting in the contest.
- The Warriors travel to Bloomington, Illinois, this weekend to play in the Barker Chevrolet Classic. WLC will face Central (Iowa) and Westminster (Mo.) Friday night and then take on Coe and Lincoln Christian Saturday to close out the regular season slate.